So...Whats in a name?

An apple and onion have the same taste (i.e. both produce the same effect on the tongue). Now, why do they evoke such contrary images in our minds? I believe its a bit of both perception and packaging. You feel that an apple will be sweet, though it is its look and smell which makes it seem so. I think the same is true with people. The moment a person forms a perception about a person, they are prejudiced towards it without giving it further reasoning. I mean, there was a teacher whom I was told was very partial. I had this pre-conceived notion about the concerned faculty, and went into the class with an already made up mind. The fact that I am trying to illustrate is that this is what the notion of a brand can do - good, or bad. So, the conclusion drawn from it is that whether you are an apple or an onion will be decided in the first minute. So, that seals the fate, one would think. But, and I say BUT, even if you are thought to be the apple, your smell will give you away even if the person judging you is blindfolded. Thats because no one is perfect enough to look through the nitty-gritties. Detail IS important in the physical sense of life, though it may cease to be in the metaphysical levels. The latter is about generalization and abstraction of things.

Comments

  1. This one is really nice. N ma fav. so far..
    But de one dated 2nd july, felt it cliched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I don't know what you're being fed if you think an apple is the same as an onion. But I agree about the general idea of prejudice. There is substantial literature in psychology on discrimination that suggests that reason is almost useless when it comes to cases involving discrimination, where discrimination can be rationalized. But I maintain that if I substitute onions in an apple pie, you will not like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well...the taste is inherently the same, its the smell and other features that makes us look at them differently..its a fact; you can veriify it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts